Sunday, May 17, 2009

1 Timothy 6:11-16 Stanzas 1-3

The'e-ternal life to which we're called
In order to possess
In sight of God and witnesses
Our faith we have confessed

Jesus the Christ, the Son of God
We'll wait til He appears
For God will bring in His own time
This promise we hold near (or dear?)

Until that day with joy pursue
Faith righteousness and love
Forever might and honor be
To Him who sits above

Notes: although acurately reflecting the portion of Scripture that I've chosen, I recognize that these stanzas reveal little about the condition of man or the work of Christ. Does this hymn makes sense without any further explanation or do I need more stanzas (my husband said he would sing it)? No! I'm not going to do C.M.D. :)
Concerning the second stanza
"Jesus the Christ the Son of God" this is what we have confessed. The text mentions Jesus' "good confession" before Pontius Pilate. I wondered what this meant and found in the gospels that Jesus confessed before Pilate that He was 1) the Christ and King of the Jews, and 2) The Son of God
near/dear, I think "hold dear" sounds better, but it has more of a warm fuzzy connotation, whereas "hold near" seems to me something that we're actually looking for and holding on to. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment