Thursday, May 14, 2009

Webber and Cowper

There is a connection, I believe, between what we've read in "Exploring the Worship Spectrum" and "Insanity and Spiritual Songs in the Soul of a Saint". In his deeply theological and helpful response to contemporary worship, Robert Webber points out what he believes to be one of the fatal flaws in contemporary forms of worship. He writes, "It is too much about what I ought to do and too little about what God has done for me. God has done for me what I cannot do for myself. He did it in Jesus Christ. Therefore my worship is offered in a broken vessel that is in the process of being healed, but is not yet capable of fullness of joy, endless intense passion, absolute exaltation, and celebration". He further comments on the lack of the gospel in contemporary worship, "But why contemporary worship leaders never tell us this good news baffles me. It leaves me with the sense that I am asked to do the impossible. And when leaders lead us to believe they accomplish this kind of love, passion, and praise, then the rest of us either have to fake it or worry that maybe we are not spiritual enough". Webber rightly judges that much contemporary worship urges us to conjure up a spiritual perfection and zeal we simply do not have.

This is exactly the kind of law-based Christianity that would have deepened Cowper's depression. What brought him to faith in Christ was an understanding of the sufficiency of Christ's atoning work and an owning of gospel truth. He was overwhelmed at the truth that Christ had provided all the means of salvation. Much of the contemporary Christian form of worship (music?) often pushes us to claim subjective truths about ourselves (ie, "I will love you Lord, will all my heart and all my soul and all my strength") which may not always be true. And then when we realize that we don't meet the claims of the songs, Webber is right to point out that we begin fear that we are not spiritual enough. This kind of self-ascribed, yet lacking, devotion can only lead to guilt and doubt. This is the last thing that William Cowper or anyone should hear from the Christian church.

No comments:

Post a Comment