Wednesday, May 13, 2009

We Were Not Created To Worship?!?

This phrase caught me off guard as I was reading Harold Best's brilliantly crafted section on worship. I have always heard that "You and I were made to worship" and that God needs our worship. Honestly never having thought about this in depth, my mind has been churning with thoughts about this all day. If we are created to worship, it would follow that the creation was intended to fill in a gap that was missing. It was the phrase immediately following that has really had me thinking; "this suggests that God is a being who needs that kind of attention." God is perfect, and deficient in nothing, therefore there was no gap that needed to be filled by our worship. I love the way that Best describes the human soul, "We were created worshiping - already at worship." At the fall, "we exchanged gods" and "worshiped the creature rather than the creator." This is another implication of the necessity of discretion when putting songs before your congregation. We must think through the implications of what we and the songs we choose are saying, and make sure that they line up with scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment