Monday, May 11, 2009

Wrong Doctrine in Hymns

"Wrong doctrine in preaching would be noticed, in hymns it may come to be believed." When I read this statement from Margaret Clarkson, I remember as a teenager having this attitude that, though I may not understand a certain text that was being sung in church, or the text seemed not quite right, I was sure that it must be okay because, after all, we're singing it in church and none of the godly people here seem to have a problem with it. In fact they seem to be enjoying it. Not until much later did the meaning of "create in me a clean heart, oh, God. And renew a right spirit within me. ... take not thy Holy Spirit from me" become clear to me. Sure, I was singing Scripture, but not in the right context. This song is a prayer, and by singing it, I was praying that I would not lose the Holy Spirit. Strange prayer for someone that believes she can't lose the Spirit. Certainly if my pastor had preached this he would have forced to resign. Songs, even though taken directly from Scripture, can be theologically incorrect for believers to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment